Fuil Pump Diagram 2012 F150

Joined

·

6 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just purchased my first Eco boost f150. It's a 3.5l. 500a lariat 4x4 screw. HD payload, max tow and 6.5 box. Was a very difficult truck to find. I finally got one on Father's Day. For the first 300 miles. No issues. Loved the power. Came from same truck but was a 2010 5.4. My prior tow rig but wanted more power and gears.

Now with just over 800 miles there was a tick/ knock if I listen in passenger side wheel well. I listen to another 2017 and we both agreed there was a noticeable sound.

I took it it in and they said the high pressure fuel pump was delivering too much pressure. Should only be 400 psi ( I thought that seemed low) It's now waiting on a new pump. It's on backorder and looks like a few weeks before they will have it installed. I'm not positive it's the issue because I didn't see any codes or engine light. It had poor performance and poor gas mileage.

Anyone else have have this issue? I know these trucks are new and have a different fuel system than 2016.

Im having some anxiety now because it's broken so soon. It was my first brand
ew vehicle ever and I really was excited to be able to maintain this vehicle from beginning and ensuring it lasts. Now I fear that this could cause premature wear on injectors. Also I read other forums with gas in oil. I never checked the oil. Frankly I never even opened the hood yet.

winchested

Joined

·

7,839 Posts

The high pressure pump is normally loud and ticking.

It's cam driven and varies pressure with rpm. The more rpm the more pressure. 400 is like idle pressure.

mass-hole

Joined

·

8,254 Posts

The high pressure pump is normally loud and ticking.

It's cam driven and varies pressure with rpm. The more rpm the more pressure. 400 is like idle pressure.

Yeah I thought they ran up to 2300 psi or something.

Its funny cause when i first heard people say HPFP for the the ecoboost I am thinking diesel pressure. I have my jeep tuned to run at 26,000 psi right now.

Very nice truck too. If I had to build my ultimate towing F150 it would be yours. You found it on a lot or did you order it?

Joined

·

580 Posts

Labmaster02

Joined

·

39 Posts

I have the same truck with the 3.5. It has the same noise on the passenger side. I also have an OBDLink code reader that can monitor PID's from the iPhone. One that I watch is the fuel pressure. It varies from around 400 to over 2800psi. Even at idle it reads over 2000psi at times.

Joined

·

580 Posts

I have the same truck with the 3.5. It has the same noise on the passenger side. I also have an OBDLink code reader that can monitor PID's from the iPhone. One that I watch is the fuel pressure. It varies from around 400 to over 2800psi. Even at idle it reads over 2000psi at times.

yea i noticed that too, anywhere between 400 and 4k i think it peaked at.

Joined

·

6 Posts

Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I found it on the lot. they had black 5 passenger and a magnetic 6 passenger. My old XLT was a 6 passenger but I thought with the 10 speed would be nice to be able to shift manually on the floor shift. I had to step up to 500pkg to get the power fold/scope trailer mirrors. my old xlt was manual mirrors I really found that this is more of a must have feature [QUOTE=mass

Joined

·

6 Posts

Discussion Starter · #8 ·

has anyone determined the root cause yet? I am still waiting on the pump at the dealer and not sure if that will be the fix? Defiantly this cant be normal. If I was in charge of the engineering engine department I Would not allow this out the door. sounds like the motor spun a bearing

Joined

·

12 Posts

I also have the exact same noise issue on my 2017 2nd gen 3.5 ecoboost. Been to the dealer twice and no resolution with the acknowledgement of also noting the tapping noise, but no codes, no performance loss, no TSB's, so no resolution. My stethoscope shows the noise is loudest directly above the cam phaser on the rt front cylinder bank. The HPFP located also on the rt cyl bank is located more closer to the firewall and produces a distinctly different and lighter tapping noise. Really curious what the above resolutions were. I still intend another visit to the shop in a couple of months after this cold weather breaks (Minneapolis, Mn). Noise Is loudest at hot idle.

Tuctuckr2@comcast.netkr2

Joined

·

59 Posts

Had a 2011 5.0 that just recently traded for a new 2018 3.5. At about 58k while towing the fuel pump in the fuel tank started acting up. Accelerating at about 4000 rpm it would just choke. Wouldn't rev any higher. Fortunately it didn't go out totally as I was towing my travel trailer and several hours from home. Dealer diagnosed low fuel pressure when we got home and quickly changed it out under warranty. As the warranty was coming to an end I opted to buy a newer rig. I wouldn't worry too much. Typically, issues will occur right away or not at all.
Also, I noticed about 6 months prior that my fuel mileage had dropped a bit. Don't know if it related to the pump just stating an observation.

Joined

·

580 Posts

I also have the exact same noise issue on my 2017 2nd gen 3.5 ecoboost. Been to the dealer twice and no resolution with the acknowledgement of also noting the tapping noise, but no codes, no performance loss, no TSB's, so no resolution. My stethoscope shows the noise is loudest directly above the cam phaser on the rt front cylinder bank. The HPFP located also on the rt cyl bank is located more closer to the firewall and produces a distinctly different and lighter tapping noise. Really curious what the above resolutions were. I still intend another visit to the shop in a couple of months after this cold weather breaks (Minneapolis, Mn). Noise Is loudest at hot idle.

The dealer told me its the HPFP and that its normal. I asked why it didn't do it when new and they blew me off. They are going to end up buying this thing back for IWE issues before anything else happens but i don't fully buy the HPFP as the source of the noise, it sound to hollow like a phaser clunking back and forth.

Joined

·

193 Posts

You guys, the HPFP on this truck is loud. It has a baffle on it and if that wasn't installed it would be 10 times louder and the engine would actually sound broken.

Joined

·

580 Posts

Why isn't the sound there from the beginning? I didn't notice it until about 800 miles, really started to notice around 1200.

winchested

Joined

·

7,839 Posts

Because you were to busy listening to everything else and driving a new truck.

Joined

·

580 Posts

No, the truck was near silent. I drove with the radio off for the first week listening to anything odd. It has also picked up a spark knock around 1700-2200 rpm as its shifting that they say is normal too. Only Thing that was audible from the engine bay was the injectors cycling.

winchested

Joined

·

7,839 Posts

Just drive it is under warranty quit being a Nancy.

Joined

·

580 Posts

Just drive it is under warranty quit being a Nancy.

Awww is that supposed to make me feel bad...

I didn't buy a new truck to have it sound like diesel. I guess the good thing is i can't hear the knock over the grinding IWE they wont fix LOL.

Lizardking419

Joined

·

788 Posts

Maybe Skizzo could make a YouTube video on how to fix those 2 issues. Then he could post it on a Toyota forum in the off topic section.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Joined

·

12 Posts

You guys, the HPFP on this truck is loud. It has a baffle on it and if that wasn't installed it would be 10 times louder and the engine would actually sound broken.

There is no visible baffle that I see on the HPFP - is it contained internally? There is the plastic cover over the engine which partially obscures the pump. Keep in mind we are discussing the 2017 3.5 2nd gen ecoboost which now has the HPFP positioned on the right valve cover toward the back, compared to the 1st gen ecoboost with the HPFP on the left bank. My stethoscope directly on the HPFP shows a mild tapping, unlike the louder tapping from the front of the cover over the phasers. I agree with duck9191 that the sound is emanating from the front right cover over the phasers. The sound I hear and feel at times with my fingers on the cover is as he described.

Joined

·

193 Posts

It's an internal baffle, and i'm also talking about the gen2. All of these pumps are going to have baffling, they're very loud otherwise.

Source: https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/high-pressure-fuel-pump-failure.48073/

Posted by: harleyharleyholmoneer10264917.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

0 Comments